History of St. Lawrence Bowls Club
Although we were founded in 1904 there are no available records until after the Second World War.
Apparently we used to play at the Warre Recreation Ground in Ramsgate before the War.
In 1946 our present green was laid by Cyril Redmond and Bob Pilcher and we started playing here in 1947, using the old tearooms as a Clubhouse and Changing room. We obtained a Lease from the Council and we look after everything ourselves.
We moved into our present Clubhouse in 1988 and have added extensions during the last few years, we have had lots of vandalism including several break-ins, arson attacks and damage to the green.
We have supplied two members to go through as President of the Kent Bowling Association namely John Hoare in 1960 and Doug Head in 1992.
On the playing side we have had our ups and downs, in 1952 John Hoare won the County Singles. And in 2010 & 2013 Chris Fox, Mick Homersham and Ken Weyand won the County Triples, and also in 2013 the three of them along with Roger Williams won the County Fours. 2014 Josh Tingey won the County Unbadged.
In the County Pairs in 1946 G. Kemp and T. Robinson were runners-up, in 2007 and 2009 Mick Homersham and Ken Weyand were runners-up. In 2007 these two went on to the EBA Finals at Worthing and were Quarter Finalists.
In the Cox Cup we were runners-up to Tunbridge Wells in 2004.
Len Anning, Mick Homersham, Chris Fox and Ken Weyand have played in Middleton Cup games and we have supplied a few to the Home Counties League.
Recently we have won the Isle of Thanet BA Premier League quite a few times and also the Combination League. In the Isle of Thanet Competitions we have also won the various disciplines.
In 2004 we celebrated our Centenary with games against the EBA - now Bowls England, and a KCBA President's team led by one of our former members Norman Wright.
Now we look to the future with a lot of youngsters coming along.